There are three levels of hunger:
- Famished! or, if the player has Photosynthetic Skin, Wilted!
The player can become hungrier by:
- Entering a screen after travelling on the world map greater than one parasang, which will automatically set the player to hungry.
- Letting time pass.
- When the player eats a meal, their hunger meter is reset to 0.
- A player may only cook three times at a or . This limit is reset whenever the player becomes hungry or famished.
- Refer to the Meals page for a list of foods that are considered meals. These foods and are not subject to any use limits like the campfire or oven.
- When the player eats a snack, their hunger meter is reduced by 200.
- Refer to the Snacks page for a list of foods that are considered snacks.
- The player's hunger meter increases by 1 each turn.
- When the player's hunger meter reaches the following skill-dependent value, the player becomes Hungry and loses any metabolic effects.
- When the player's hunger meter reaches the following skill-dependent value, the player becomes Famished! or Wilted! and loses any metabolic effects. Players without Mind over Body also suffer a -10 QN penalty.
Metabolic effects are only lost when becoming hungry or famished. They can be maintained indefinitely by eating periodic meals and avoiding travel on the world map.